Starring: Jeffrey Combs, Bruce Abbott, Barbara Crampton
Directed: Stuart Gordon
Studio: Arrow Video
Disc Release Date: August 8, 2017
HERBERT WEST HAS A GOOD HEAD ON HIS SHOULDERS… AND ANOTHER ONE ON HIS DESK.
One of the most wildly popular horror movies of all-time, Stuart Gordon s enduring splatter-comedy classic Re-Animator returns to Blu-ray in a stunning restoration packed with special features!
When medical student Dean Cain advertises for a roommate, he soon finds one in the form of Dr. Herbert West. Initially a little eccentric, it some becomes clear that West entertains some seriously outlandish theories specifically, the possibility of re-animating the dead. It s not long before Dean finds himself under West s influence, and embroiled in a serious of ghoulish experiments which threaten to go wildly out of control…
Based on H.P. Lovecraft s classic terror tale Herbert West Reanimator and featuring a standout performance from Jeffrey Combs as the deliciously deranged West, Re-Animator remains the ground-zero of 80s splatter mayhem and one of the genre s finest hours.
Re-Animator is a Classic Horror that has a strong following and its a film most Horror Fans know. The film deals with a Medical Student whom was barred from his homeland due to his experiments and he went of to the United States to continue his work. His work dealt with the Brain and how to Re Animated it after death. The only thing is he hasn’t perfected the serum and his subject are violent.
Not much to say about the film as it’s a film you should know of. If your into horror you should have this in your collection. It has a lot of Gore, death, and some nudity. The Story if fun and yes it has its plot holes like we don’t ever see the Med Student work on his concoctions…he just magically has it ready to use. But lets but all that aside as this film is a must have. The Question is should you get this version? This is the second Blu-ray release of this film and I have to say if you want the best more complete version…Its this one. We get two version of the film plus a bunch of extras including a comic. But more importantly the Arrow Version comes with a Better transfer so it looks great and vivid and sharp. If you have not seen this film yet, its time to put this one in your collection. It’s not a Classic 5 out of 5 star film but for me its close and its memorable.
Overall the film itself is a fun watch with its real live effects and not the whole CGI bloody stuff your use to watching these days. Its worth the buy and its worth the replacement of the first Blu-Ray release
With that said I give this film a 4.5 out of 5 stars due to its gore, memorable moments and what this film helps bring towards later films after this one
2-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- 4K restorations of the Unrated and Integral versions of the film
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original Stereo 2.0 and 5.1 Audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Digipak packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Justin Erickson
- Collector s booklet featuring new writing on the film by writer Michael Gingold
- Re-Animator the original 1991 comic book adaptation, reprinted in its entirety
DISC 1 UNRATED VERSION
- Unrated version [86 mins]
- Audio commentary with director Stuart Gordon
- Audio commentary with producer Brian Yuzna, actors Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton, Bruce Abbott, and Robert Sampson
- Re-Animator Resurrectus documentary on the making of the film, featuring extensive interviews with cast and crew
- Interview with director Stuart Gordon and producer Brian Yuzna
- Interview with writer Dennis Paoli
- Interview with composer Richard Band
- Music Discussion with composer Richard Band
- Interview with former Fangoria editor Tony Timpone
- Barbara Crampton In Conversation the Re-Animator star sits down with journalist Alan Jones for this career-spanning discussion
- Deleted and Extended Scenes
- Trailer & TV Spots
DISC 2 INTEGRAL VERSION LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE
- Integral version [105 mins]
- A Guide to Lovecraftian Cinema brand new featurette looking at the many various cinematic incarnations of writer H.P. Lovecraft s work
- PLUS MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED!